Vol. 12 No. 2 (2021): Evaluation, feedback, equity: a challenge in education
Rethinking feedback: The role of comparison in assessment for learning processes
Università degli Studi di Padova
Università degli Studi di Padova
International research on feedback is framed from a dialogical and social constructivist perspective, with researchers suggesting that to improve learning students must assume greater agency in that dialogue. This article presents the theory of inner feedback developed by Nicol (2020 as a radical alternative. The premise is that students are generating internal feedback all the time by comparing their thinking, actions, and productions against different kinds of external information. That information might come from textbooks, videos, observations, online resources, or it might derive from comments or dialogue with others. In this view, the way to improve feedback, student learning and their ability to self-regulate their learning, is to utilise and integrate a wider range of resources for comparison beyond comments and dialogue in formal feedback practices. The pedagogical implications are explored and an application in a university context is presented.
I haven’t read through the corrections, as other commitments emerged, so I will have to wait until after the peer review process to do that.
- Ajjawi R. & Boud D. (2017). Researching feedback dialogue: an interactional analysis approach. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 42(2): 252-265.
- Alfieri L., Nokes-Malach T. & Schunn, C. (2013). Learning through Case Comparisons: A Meta-Analytic Review. Educational Psychologist, 48(2): 87-113.
- Black P. & Wiliam D. (1998). Assessment and classroom learning. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 5: 7-68.
- Blair A., Wyburn-Powell A., Goodwin, M. & Shields S. (2014). Can Dialogue Help to Improve Feedback on Examinations? Studies in Higher Education, 39(6): 1039-1054.
- Boud D. (2010). Student assessment for learning in and after courses. Sydney, NSW: Australian Learning and Teaching Council, 1-31.
- Boud D., & Soler R. (2016). Sustainable assessment revisited. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 41(3): 400-413.
- Brookhart S.M. (2013). How to Create and Use Rubrics for Formative Assessment and Grading. Ascd, Alexandria.
- Brown S. (2014). Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Higher Education. Global Perspectives. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Carless D. & Chan K.K.H. (2017). Managing dialogic use of exemplars. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 42(6): 930-941.
- Chi M.TH., Roy M. & Hausmann R.G.M. (2008). Observing Tutorial Dialogues Collaboratively: Insights about Human Tutoring Effectiveness from Vicarious Learning. Cognitive Science, 32(2): 301-341.
- Doria B. & Grion V. (2020). L’autovalutazione nel contesto universitario: una revisione sistematica della letteratura. Form@re – Open Journal Per La Formazione in Rete, 20(1): 78-92.
- Evans C. (2013). Making Sense of Assessment Feedback in Higher Education. Review of Educational Research, 83(1): 70-120.
- Falchikov N. (2005). Improving Assessment through Student Involvement. London: Routledge-Falmer.
- Goldstone R.L.S., Day S. & Son J. Y. (2010). Comparator. In B. Glatzeder, V. Goel, and A. von Müller (Eds.), On thinking: Volume II, towards a theory of thinking. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 103-122.
- Grion V. & Serbati A. (2019). Valutazione sostenibile e feedback nei contesti universitari. PensaMultimedia.
- Grion V. & Serbati A. (edizione italiana a cura di). (2017). Assessment for Learning in Higher Education. Nuove prospettive e pratiche di valutazione all’università. Lecce-Brescia: Lecce: Pensa MultiMedia.
- Grion V. (2016). Assessment for Learning all’università: uno strumento per modernizzare la formazione. In M. Fedeli, V. Grion, D. Frison (Eds.), Coinvolgere per apprendere. Metodi e tecniche partecipative per la formazione (pp. 289-317). Lecce-Brescia: Pensa MultiMedia.
- Grion V., & Tino C. (2018). Verso una “valutazione sostenibile” all’università: percezioni di efficacia dei processi di dare e ricevere feedback fra pari. Lifelong Lifewide Learning, 31: 38-55.
- Grion V., Serbati A., Tino C., & Nicol D. (2017). Ripensare la teoria della valutazione e dell’apprendimento all’università: un modello per implementare pratiche di peer review. Giornale Italiano della Ricerca Educativa – Italian Journal of Educa-tional Research, 210-224.
- Hattie J. & Timperley H.S. (2007). The power of feedback. Review of Educational Research, 77: 81-112.
- Jackel B., Pearce J., Radloff A., & Edwards D. (2017). Assessment and feedback in higher education. A review of literature for the higher education academy. York: Higher Education Academy & Australian Council for Educational Research.
- Li L., & Grion V. (2019). The Power of Giving and Receiving in Peer Assessment. AISHE Journal, 11(11): 1-17.
- Montalbetti K. (2018). Assessment for learning nel contesto universitario. Giornale Italiano della Ricerca Educativa, 11(20): 111-124.
- Nicol D. (2010). From Monologue to Dialogue: Improving Written Feedback Processes in Mass Higher Education. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 35(5): 501-517.
- Nicol D. (2018). Unlocking generative feedback via peer reviewing. In V. Grion, & A. Serbati (Eds.), Assessment of Learning or Assessment for Learning? Towards a culture of sustainable assessment in HE (pp. 73-85). Lecce: Pensa MultiMedia.
- Nicol D. (2019). Reconceptualising feedback as an internal not an external process. Italian Journal of Educational Research, 12 (numero speciale): 71-84.
- Nicol D. (2020). The power of internal feedback: exploiting natural comparator pro-cesses. Assessment & Evaluation in higher education, 46(5): 756-778.
- Nicol D. (2021). Guiding learning by activating students’ inner feedback. Times Higher Education.
- Nicol D. & McCallum S. (2021). Making internal feedback explicit: exploiting the multiple comparator s that occur during peer review. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher, 1.19.
- Nicol D. & Selvaretnam G. (2021). Making internal feedback explicit: harnessing the comparisons students make during two-stage exams. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education.
- Orsmond P., Merry S., & Reiling K. (2005). Biology Students’ Utilization of Tutors’ Formative Feedback: A Qualitative Interview Study. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education 30(4): pp. 369-386.
- Piaget J. (1976). The Grasp of Consciousness: Action and Concept in the Young Child. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Price M., Handley K., Millar J., & O’Donovan B. (2010). Feedback: All That Effort, but What is the Effect. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 35(3): 277-289.
- Rittle-Johnson B., & Star J. R. (2011). The Power of Comparator in Learning and Instruction. Learning Outcomes Supported by Different Types of Comparator s. Psychology of Learning and Motivation, 55: 199-225.
- Sadler D. R. (1989). Formative assessment and the design of instructional systems. Instructional Science, 18(2): 119-144.
- Sambell K., Brown S. (2021) Changing assessment for good: building on the emer-gency switch to promote future-oriented assessment and feedback designs. In Baughan P. (Ed.) (2021). Assessment and Feedback in a Post-Pandemic Era: A Time for Learning and Inclusion (pp. 11-21). Heslington, York (GB): Adavance-HE.
- Sambell K. and Graham L., (2020). “We need to change what we’re doing.” Using pedagogic action research to improve teacher management of exemplars. Practitioner Research in Higher Education, 13(1): pp. 3-17.
- Sambell K., McDowell L., & Montgomery C. (2012). Assessment for learning in higher education. Routledge.
- Sargeant J., Armson H., Chesluk B., Dornan T., Eva K., Holmboe E., Lockyer J., Loney E., Mann K. & van der Vleuten C. (2010). The Processes and Dimensions of Informed Self-Assessment: A Conceptual Model. Academic Medicine, 85(7): 1212-1220.
- Serbati A., Grion V. & Fanti M (2019). Caratteristiche del peer feedback e giudizio va-lutativo in un corso universitario blended. Giornale Italiano della Ricerca Educativa, 12(numero speciale): 115-137.
- Sfard, A. (1998). On Two Metaphors for Learning and the Danger of Choosing Just One. Educational Researcher, 27(2): 4-13.
- Topping K. (1998). Peer Assessment between Students in Colleges and Universities. Review of Educational Research, 68(3): 49-276.
- Vygotsky L. S. (1978). Mind in Society; The Development of Higher Psychological Processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.